Setting Up Service

The following information is provided to help you understand Atascadero Mutual Water Company's (AMWC's) procedures and requirements for water service. As a condition of service, each shareholder (property owner) must abide by the policies, rates, bylaws, and regulations of AMWC. Refer to Policy 1.2.2 New Meter Application [pdf].

Transferring an Existing Water Service to Your Name

OWNERS:  If you purchase a home or business in Atascadero that currently has water service, complete the online form by clicking on the Start Service button below or call the AMWC office at (805) 466-2428 as soon as your escrow has closed to have the account put into your name,

TENANTS: Because of AMWC's status as a non-profit mutual water company, AMWC can only serve shareholders (legal owner on record). If an owner wishes to have a duplicate bill sent to another party, AMWC must have a Billing Option Form on file. The original bill will be sent to the shareholder, and the shareholder is ultimately responsible for payment of all charges.

Applying for a New Water Meter

In order for AMWC to provide service to your parcel, you will be required to complete a New Meter Application, have a current Will-Serve Letter Request on file, and provide a copy of the building permit for the parcel, prior to payment of the fees applicable to the parcel and installation of the water meter. It is up to you to determine the size of the water meter you will need for your project.

Will Serve Letters

A Will Serve Letter provides the conditions under which AMWC will provide water service to your property. You may be asked for a Will-Serve Letter Request during the building permit process with the City of Atascadero or the County of San Luis Obispo.

Additional Dwelling Units

If you wish to connect an additional dwelling unit to an existing water service, you will be required to complete a New Meter Application, and pay a connection fee for each additional unit. Your water bill will be changed to reflect the number of dwelling units connected to the water service.

A separate water meter is not required for additional single-family residential units on the same parcel. A separate water meter, or meters, is required for service to each lot, condominium unit, or legal parcel.

NOTE: If and when AMWC discovers additional dwelling unit(s) on a parcel where no connection fee was paid, AMWC will charge an additional connection fee for each dwelling unit.  Units constructed prior to September 7, 2004, will be subject to the rate in effect prior to that date, plus interest and minimum monthly water rate charges from March 7, 2005, to the date the connection fee is paid. Units constructed prior to November 8, 1978 are exempt from the requirement to pay connection fees (before this date, AMWC did not require the payment of connection fees for multiple dwelling units constructed on the same lot). The shareholder will be required to provide proof of the construction date, typically in the form of a residential building record available from the County Recorder's office.


8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Mon - FRI

Email response during business hours only

Emergency Only After-HourS  

(805) 466-9004

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Pinterest - White Circle